Saturday, September 25, 2010

DAA 267!

Three months left for production, and things are getting crazy!! We're showing a trailer next week, and we have shots rendered and comped, but still - yikes!

I have moved on from Character TD to Cloth TD and Render IO. I love the cloth, but being a render monkey makes me want to pull my eyes out.

Also, I am now teaching Intro to Character Rigging (DAA 267) at Cogswell Polytechnic College. It's a very basic rigging class, covering mostly bipedal anatomy and bipedal rigging techniques. Still, I think I am learning more than my students, and I am having a pretty good time.

For my class, I've been making PDF tutorials, which I will be posting here. They're very, very basic, but I seem to find a lack of comprehensive basic tuts on the web. So, once I find a good file host, I will start to post.

For now, all I can say is that Project X has been a great experience, but boy am I ready for the real thing.

Also, I have to share a great reel I found, for a few reasons:

I see very few solid game rigging demo reels, but this one really takes the cake. It's fast, shows a lot in a little time, and very well done, in my opinion. The deformations on the first model are awesome, and the guts blendshapes are creepily fantastic. Plus, this reel shows examples of stretch, biped/quadruped, dynamics, and solid rigging in a minute fifteen.

Also, while watching this reel I was shocked, surprised, and touched to see that the last model is based off of concept work from Michael Sandborn - an amazing artist and wonderful friend who sadly passed away. It's touching see that his work was taken into the hands of such talented people.

Justin Kirk Rigging Reel from Justin Kirk on Vimeo.


4 comments:

  1. The easy way to host the PDF files would be to just upload them to google docs and share the links here on the blog.

    Also, great reel find, just long enough to make me want to look at the more detailed videos.

    Congrats on the teaching gig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing reel! :) Looking forward to seeing your tutorials

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh snap!~ you are a teacher?
    do you have a coffee mug with your name and the word professor under it? lol

    but congraz, now you must carry the mission of ...teaching the world knowledge and stuff...about rigging

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Teaching is a wonderful and a challenging job. I am sure you will get people interested in rigging :)

    ReplyDelete