Thursday, September 3, 2009

Long time, no rig!!

Hey all!!

Sorry for my lack of postage lately, but this summer semester quite literally sunk me into a busy oblivion (I took storyboarding. 'nough said!) so unfortunately this blog went on the backburner. But now, I am back in full swing, as the lead Character TD for Project X '09! Which is entirely NDA, so you'll see none of it yet. I am also in the process of learning Python, as to not rely entirely on rather broken MEL :]

I have an interesting dilemma I am trying to figure out though, if anyone can provide me insight: I seem to have a problem when setting visibility keys on my IK/FK arms. Everytime I implement a switch to turn off IK or FK (both the arm itself and the controllers' visibility) the FK arm breaks completely. I've tried keying the object, the group, using a different attribute, everything, yet keying visibility breaks the arm to no end. Any thoughts, anyone?

On a side note, I wrote a nice IK/FK match script that fixes annoying elbow pop when trying to do an IKFK blend while animating. And, it has a UI, which is entirely not fun to do in MEL.

1 comment:

  1. How does it break? Find out if it’s really the IK/FK visibility keying that’s breaking the FK arm.
    I mean why does the FK arm break and not IK arm? If both controllers have visibility that can be controlled and connected?
    But, if it is the visibility keying that’s breaking the FK arms than I suggest that you use a condition node to control the visibility of IK/FK control. So the visibility channel is not keyed…
    I mean if you write the expression that changes only the (setAttr "Your_FK_Ctrl.overrideVisibility" 0 ;) and it still breaks IK/FK switch, than it’s not just your visibility.
    If you need to go “real ghetto” I don’t know…put it in a display layer and control it by hand. Ah sorry, sorry…my teacher said never go “real ghetto” unless dead line is in 20minutes.

    ReplyDelete